Friday, October 17, 2008

What Can Compare?

For the believer in Christ, what can compare with being in His presence one day; face to face? I'm sure that most of us would be quick to answer this question with one resounding word, "nothing". After all, it is the hope of our faith. Being with Him is the fulfillment of all that we look forward to as Christians. It is the keeping of a promise made by the Savior. In John 14:2-3, the beloved apostle recorded these words of Christ's; "In My Father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also." Surely this is the "blessed hope" spoken of by Paul in his letter to Titus, referring to "the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus".

In 1898, a woman by the name of Carrie E. Breck wrote the lyrics to one of the great hymns of our faith. She has been described as a woman who had no sense of pitch and one who could not carry a tune. But she had a hope of one day being "Face to Face with Christ, My Savior". She captured the thoughts and hopes of believers through the years when she wrote these words:

"Face to face with Christ, my Savior, Face to face - what will it be, When with rapture I behold Him, Jesus Christ Who died for me?"

"Only faintly now I see Him, With the darkened veil between, But a blessed day is coming, When His glory shall be seen."

"Face to face - oh, blissful moment! Face to face - to see and know; Face to face with my Redeemer, Jesus Christ Who loves me so."

"Face to face I shall behold Him, Far beyond the starry sky; Face to face in all His glory, I shall see Him by and by!"

Thank you Mrs. Breck for the words that you chose to express the faith that we share! They remind us of the blessed hope that belongs to all those who are in Christ. But I would like to reconsider the question that was posed above. No, I'm not going to suggest that there is something that equates with seeing Him face to face, because there is nothing that can. I'm not going to suggest that we can experience "heaven on earth", because we can not. But I am suggesting that there is a truth that deserves our sincere consideration.

In Philippians 1:21 the apostle Paul wrote, "To live is Christ and to die is gain". In verse 23 he said that his desire was to "depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better". But despite his knowledge of what it would mean to be face to face with Jesus, there was something that caused him to be "hard pressed" from two directions. Clearly one of those "directions" was "above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God". But what could compare with that? What could this other direction be that seemed to have a most compelling pull? In verse 22 Paul wrote that to remain on in the flesh would mean "fruitful labor" for him and in verse 24 he wrote that to remain on in the flesh was "more necessary" for their sake. And then in verse 25 he was inspired to write these very powerful words, "Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all for your progress and joy in the faith". This is quite an amazing truth when you think of it. The deciding factor between these two directions that Paul was "hard pressed" to choose between was which one was "more necessary" for the sake of others. What may have been "very much better" for Paul was superseded by that which was "more necessary" for the body of Christ. Paul has since achieved his desire to "depart and be with Christ" and has come to know that which is very much better.

Being face to face with Christ our savior has no equal. But perhaps God would have us consider that which we might compare. Fruitful labor. Ministry in the body of Christ. Being used by Him to help others; for their progress and joy in the faith. Yes, to be absent from the body is to be at home with the Lord. To die is certainly gain to the believer. But "to live is Christ".

Lord, we long to be with you. "Face to face - oh, blissful moment! Face to face - to see and know; Face to face with my Redeemer, Jesus Christ Who loves me so." But as we remain on in the flesh, we pray that you might put it in our hearts and minds that "to live is Christ". Instill in us a desire to be involved in "fruitful labor". Help us to be vessels that you might work through to help others in their progress and joy in the faith. Help those who have long been involved in "fruitful labor" to not grow weary in doing good. For those who have, I pray that you might cause them to gaze afresh on the Savior and be renewed in His strength. Thank you for the privilege that is ours to be fellow workers with you until that day we are with you.

No comments: