Friday, November 21, 2008

Weary, Heavy-Laden and Thankful

Circumstances have prevented me from posting Part II of "Jettison the Cargo!" this week. Lord willing, I will do so in the weeks to come. My heart and mind have been occupied with other matters these last few days and I feel compelled to share some other thoughts.

Today, I found myself in a courtroom full of people with heavy hearts. Many tears were shed amidst the sounds of deep sobbing. Some were there mourning the loss of a woman who was their mother, their sister and their daughter. Others were there mourning the woman's death and learning that the young man who caused it would be going to prison for several years. They were his mother and father, sister, aunts, uncles and friends. I was in this second group. Early this past summer, my nephew had made a most unfortunate decision to drive while he was intoxicated. This afternoon he was hearing the court's verdict against him that will result in a minimum prison sentence of 75 months being imposed.

Over the past several months, many prayers have been prayed by God's children for my nephew, his family and the family of the woman who died in this incident. In Romans 8:26 the Apostle Paul wrote, "In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words;" I am convinced that the Holy Spirit has interceded so, time and again in this matter.

Not only have His people prayed; He has faithfully answered prayer. I know my nephew's life will never be just as it was prior to the tragic incident he will now serve time for. But before he was taken into custody he was given one of the most gracious gifts I have seen given by men. He was offered the forgiveness of those who had been so hurt by his actions. At the conclusion of his trial yesterday, the father of the woman who was killed gave him a hug and offered his forgiveness. Others told him they forgave him also. And today the father stood in the courtroom affirming his forgiveness and encouraged my nephew to forgive himself. He spoke of his faith in the Lord and his sincerity was undeniable. My nephew was overwhelmed with grief and spoke of his sorrow for what he had caused and his wish that he could undo it all.

We all found ourselves experiencing the consequences of a most tragic incident that has effected so many lives. My nephew will be formally sentenced next week, the day before Thanksgiving. As difficult a time as this is, and today was, I found myself thankful for many things. Foremost of all I was overwhelmingly thankful for our loving God. I was thankful for the faithful prayers of His children. I was thankful for the ways that He had answered prayer. I was thankful for a thoughtful, fair-minded judge who presided over the case. I was thankful for my nephew's desire to accept responsibility for his actions and his obvious remorse for his actions. I was thankful that God was working in the lives of members of this woman's family and my nephew's family to ease their hurting hearts. I was especially thankful for how He used the father of the woman who had died to speak to the heart of my nephew like no one else in the courtroom could have done.

It wasn't audible, but today I heard the echo of words spoken long ago by the Lord Jesus when He said, "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest." Praise God that there is a place for the weary and heavy-laden to go and to be given rest. May we heed His bidding to come and may we receive the rest that He offers. I would ask that you continue to pray for all involved in this matter. So many different people with so many different needs. I would specifically ask that you pray for my nephew's salvation. This is the most important rest that he needs. The forgiveness of sins. And pray for his safety while he is in custody. Pray that he would make the best of the positive things offered and that he would reject the negative influences. Pray for his family. Especially pray for his mom and dad. Their hearts are very heavy. May they look to the Savior for His grace, strength, love and mercy. And pray for the father and other family members who will continue to mourn the loss of their loved one. Especially pray for them during this holiday season. May each one go to the One who wishes to give rest to the wear and heavy-laden.

Father, it is at times like these that we simply say, "thank you for being there for us". At times it can be a mystery how you work in the lives of people but we are so thankful that you do. Help us to rest in the truth that "God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." We ask that you take these tragic things that have happened and cause them to work together for good. Thank you for being "the Father of mercies and God of all comfort".

1 comment:

Bob West said...

Comment on “Weary, Heavy-Laden and Thankful

The fact that bad things happen to good people was one of the illogical notions that delayed my salvation for many years. I recall an incident during the early years of my life with my wife, Diane, when we were in the car, stopped at a red light. The windows were down and off in the distance we heard the shrill of an ambulance siren. I said, “Oh great, someone has been hurt” and she replied, “Yes, but isn’t it wonderful that help is on the way!” That moment was one of many that marked the turning point in this sinner’s life.

This story establishes that many good people suffered because of the actions of one young man, but the fact is, people do make bad decisions and their actions bring them, and others, much grief. The blessing is that God is always faithful and His comfort and mercy are there, abundantly, for all who come to Him. I join in prayer with you, that this tragedy will further God’s purpose in the lives of everyone affected by this, and that your nephew will come to understand that God is there for him, too …and yes, isn’t it wonderful that help is on the way!

Bob