Sunday, March 1, 2009

He Taught Them!

In Matthew 6:9-13, we read, "Pray, then, in this way: 'Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done. On earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen.'"

In the eleventh chapter of Luke's Gospel, in verses 1-4, we read, "And it came about that while He was praying in a certain place, after He had finished, one of His disciples said to Him, "Lord, teach us to pray just as John also taught his disciples" And He said to them, "When you pray, say: 'Father, hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come. Give us each day our daily bread. And forgive us our sins. For we ourselves also forgive everyone who is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation.'"

Often referred to as "The Lord's Prayer", these two passages of scripture represent, what is possibly, the most well known and quoted prayer found in the Bible. Over the many years that members of the Way have had an affection for these words of our Lord, much has been written about, and countless persons have commented on, various aspects of this prayer.

My intention in this article is not to examine or comment on the prayer itself, but to share some thoughts that I have related to matters surrounding its origin. I hope that you will bear with me, as I believe there are many opportunities for us to consider the practical, and the not so obvious aspects of the many and various biblical accounts God has preserved for us. I pray that these few thoughts will be edifying for His Church.

My focus will be on Luke's account, where we see that the prayer was given in response to the disciple's request that Jesus teach them to pray, "just as John also taught his disciples". The first thing I would like to consider is what had prompted this request. I know that God was at work in the lives of the disciples and I believe He had moved in their hearts to seek this instruction. But what about the human element? What were they thinking. It seems clear that the disciples had both seen and heard Jesus pray. Indeed, Jesus was a man of prayer. Was it the words that He spoke as He prayed? Was it the sound of His voice? Or perhaps the posture He assumed? They may have taken notice of all of these, but I am convinced that it was the intimacy that He shared with the Father that caught their attention. Truly, He and the Father were One.

Had you and I been afforded the privilege to witness Jesus praying, is there any doubt that we too would have implored Him; "teach us to pray"? Without question, I believe that His prayers were a reflection of His relationship with the Father and not some adherence to religious practice. God has reminded me of this truth often. How easy it seems to happen, that we become caught up in a religious practice of prayer and lack the intimacy with the Lord, which should be the very springboard of our prayers. The Apostle Paul would one day be inspired to write that we should be devoted to prayer and that we should pray without ceasing. While walking this earth, I believe Jesus lived both.

The other thought that I wished to share was Jesus' response to the disciples' request that He teach them to pray. I have come to appreciate Jesus' response to the request as being remarkable and noteworthy. I know that many will not think this to be a significant matter. You may even consider me odd to think this way or say such things. I know that His response would not be unexpected. In fact, I believe His character bound Him to respond as He did. But I think we will miss a valuable lesson if we don't take the time to consider this further. When He was asked by His disciples to teach them to pray, He did just that; He taught them to pray! He did so, knowing both their desire and their needs. He had no hesitation to teach them to pray to the Father, His Father.

I guess what caused me to consider Jesus' response remarkable was simply myself. This will be explained as I continue. He was interested in their needs and He listened to their request. He was concerned for their spiritual growth and took the time to teach them something that they could benefit from greatly. How would I have responded to such a request? Would I have demonstrated a similar concern and interest and respond as He did? How do I respond to requests for spiritual help? His response to their request has shone as a bright light on me, "piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and morrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart". Perhaps I am often too busy, uninterested or uncaring about the spiritual lives of others to even hear their requests for help or assistance. Or maybe I will help them tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes I have already filled it with much busyness and have not the time to serve.

I have never been asked by another believer to teach them to pray. But I have been asked to help someone in their desire to know His word better. I believe my response to this request has been the real reason why Jesus' response to His disciples in this matter has struck me so. Unlike the great Shepherd of the sheep, I was a failure in my response to a sincere request for spiritual help. "All things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do" and I am without excuse. The epistles of the Apostle John would suggest that I lacked love. His love. A love that is not "with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth".

So yes, to me it is worth noting, that when asked by His disciples that He teach them to pray, Jesus taught them to pray. I am so thankful for His character, and for His many attributes that are seen in all that He does. Even as we hope to walk by the Spirit and not by the flesh, men such as I will not always do the right thing. Not so with the One who "is the same yesterday and today and forever". We can learn much from "The Lord's Prayer". But for all who may read this article, I pray that we learn this lesson that is found in Jesus' response to His disciple's request. May we be interested and concerned about the spiritual welfare of one another. May we take the time to listen and then take the time be His vessels of service. May we do so, not for the sake of service itself, but for His sake; for the edification of His Church.

Father, hallowed be Thy name. May your will be done in my life. Like the beloved apostle to the Gentiles, help me to "not consider my life of any account as dear to myself, in order that I may finish my course, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus". According to your will, help me to serve willingly "night and day", to go "house to house" as you may lead, "reasoning daily" in your word. I acknowledge that "my life" and "my time" are not really mine at all. You have bought me with the precious blood of Jesus. You have brought me to yourself through the One who gave Himself; you drew me to Jesus and I am yours. Help me to have His heart, His concern, and His passion to serve. May you be glorified and may you're people be edified. In the Wonderful name of Jesus. Amen.

No comments: