Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Short Thoughts for Today

The passage of scripture for today's "short thoughts" will be Hebrews 11: 13-14. Speaking of those who had lived lives of faith, the writer is inspired to proclaim, "All these died in faith, without receiving the promises, but having seen them and having welcomed them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. For those who say such things make it clear that they are seeking a country of their own. "

My first thought is to praise God for the grace He has bestowed upon me. If  for some reason  I were to die today, I too would be counted amongst those who "died in faith". To echo the words of the great hymn, "My faith has found a resting place, not in device or creed. I trust the ever living One, His wounds for me shall plead. I need no other argument, I need no other plea, it is enough that Jesus died and that He died for me."

Like those before us, we are amongst the blessed who have both seen and welcomed "from a distance" our promise of being with Christ in heaven one day. The fulfillment of our promises may lie before us but we can rest in the many positional truths that God has given us assurance of in His word. As we read in Ephesians 2:6, He has already "raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus."    

Perhaps here is my struggle. Confessing that I am a stranger and exile on the earth. Oh, sure, I understand the truth of what that means but have I confessed it in my heart. Do I only give this truth words from my mouth? Am I "seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God"? May the Lord help us to be those found "fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith".

A country of our own, one not of this world, is a focal point of His promise to us. "Home" is being "absent from the body" and being "at home with the Lord". He will fulfill His promise to prepare a place for us and to come again and receive us to Himself, that where He is, we may be also. It is here that we "shall always be with the Lord".

No comments: