Saturday, April 10, 2010

Short Thoughts for Today

Today's "short thoughts" will be from Hebrews 11:20-22 where we read, "By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau, even regarding things to come. By faith Jacob, as he was dying, blessed each of the sons of Joseph, and worshiped, leaning on the top of his staff. By faith Joseph, when he was dying, made mention of the exodus of the sons of Israel, and gave orders concerning his bones."

The Hebrew author continues to reference various acts of faith as he speaks of Isaac, Jacob and Joseph. Isaac "blessed Jacob and Esau, even regarding things to come." Jacob "blessed each of the sons of Joseph, and worshiped, leaning on the top of his staff." And Joseph "made mention of the exodus" and "gave orders concerning his bones". Each of these men are said to have acted "by faith" in these respective accounts.

When I first considered these verses I was unsure if I would even comment on them specifically. Other than noting that these men had performed specific acts "by faith", there did not appear to be anything that I felt compelled to write about. But I felt the Lord reminded me of my own premise that we often need to take more time to ponder the word we have read and to use the mind He has given us to consider it further after reading it. So I was challenged as to what I might find as "profitable" for myself and to other believers in these three verses? I pray that the following might be profitable for you.

Although not mentioned by the Hebrew writer regarding Isaac, he is inspired to specify that Jacob's recorded act of faith was done "as he was dying" and that Joseph's was done "when he was dying". And if we read the Genesis account of Isaac blessing Jacob and Esau, we see that he did so when he ''was old" and when. "his eyes were to dim too see". So all three accounts were acts of faith that were seen at the end of their lives.

Is this not the sort of life we should wish to have, a life of faith, where faith is still present and active in our latter days? I know that no one is more faithful than our loving Lord, but how precious is the faithfulness of God's children in their latter years. Isaac, Jacob and Joseph believed God. They knew Him to be true and always faithful. I see the same in the Apostle Paul's life as he "blessed" Timothy near the end of his life.

I know I will not be a man of great faith just because I grow old as a Christian. But if I am obedient to the call to "grow in the grace and in knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ", I know that my faith can be strong even when I grow weak in my latter years. When I am old and my eyes are dim, I pray, that by His grace, I will be a man of strong faith in the One who is forever faithful. And I pray that I too will be one who blesses his children and others with words that speak of the faithfulness of the God.

No comments: