Friday, July 16, 2010

Short Thoughts for Today

The passage of scripture for today's short thoughts will be from Hebrews 11:31. It is here that we read, "By faith Rahab the harlot did not perish along with those who were disobedient, after she had welcomed the spies in peace." For me, this has been somewhat of a thought provoking passage as I see God inspiring the Hebrew author to write of the faith of a harlot.

It is quite a list of names that Rahab is mentioned in the midst of. Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David and Samuel. Perhaps the human writer even struggled to include her as he was moved to pen this account of Rahab's act of faith. But God would not only include her, He would make certain that the writer included the descriptive words that follow her name. The harlot. Although He had use no descriptive words for the other 15 persons named in the chapter, He would do so with Rahab. We read and believe that all scripture is inspired by God and that it is profitable. I pray that my comments on this verse might only assist in seeing the profit God can give.

I will start with the more obvious; that faith made the difference for Rahab. Because of faith she "did not perish along with those who were disobedient". Faith continues to make the difference today. It is faith that has made the difference in my life and in the lives of all who believe. By God's grace and through faith, we too will not perish with the disobedient, but have eternal life! As we read in John 3:16, "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life."

It seems to me that God included the description of Rahab as "the harlot" without hesitation and even for a purpose. And although I would never claim to know exactly why He chose to do so, I would like to share a couple of thoughts that I have had regarding this matter. Perhaps it reminds us that faith is not always as obvious as we might expect. Or that faith is not limited too those who we might determine should possess it. And it is surely a reminder that the choices we make in life regarding our conduct and behavior will often be the means by which we are described or identified. And may we never forget that God is able to cause faith to be wrought in the life of anyone.

When I looked up Webster's definition of harlot, I saw that it made a reference to the word prostitute. I then found that one of the definitions given for prostitute was "to devote to corrupt or unworthy purposes". I immediately thought of my own life. Before I had come to know Christ by faith, I too had been devoted to corrupt and unworthy purposes. And now, with my brothers and sisters in Christ, I can sing the words from that wonderful hymn, "What a wonderful change in my life has been wrought since Jesus came into my heart".

There is no doubt, that in addition to her act of faith, God was keenly aware of Rahab's entire life, including her life of harlotry. He would have known of the emptiness and shame that such a life would have brought her. And yet He seems unashamed to have named her and her act of faith in this passage of scripture. I am reminded of a sobering truth. The God of creation, The Omniscient One, knows our every thought and deed. Even the intentions of our heart are not hidden from Him. But again, faith has made the difference and the One who has sanctified us is not ashamed to call us brethren. May we be the most grateful of all men.

No comments: