Friday, April 27, 2012

More Than I Asked For

During a recent Sunday morning message, my pastor was speaking on Colossians 3:12 and referenced the account in Matthew 18:23-27 as an illustration of the "heart of compassion" Paul was writing about in the Colossian passage. In the Matthew account Jesus speaks of the "king who wished to settle accounts with his slaves". One of the slaves was said to have "owed him ten thousand talents", an amount that "he did not have the means to repay". We are not told how or why the slave's debt had become so great and I suppose that it doesn't matter. That his debt was great and his ability to repay impossible appear to be the picture presented for us to see.

As the Matthew passage continues, we see that all that the slave possesses is to be used as a debt payment to his master. He is to be sold, along with his wife and children, and all that he has, and the sum of all is to be given to the king. We are not told that this will actually satisfy the entire debt that he owes but that it will be what is required of him. Burdened by this debt he could not pay, the slave falls prostrate before his lord and asks him to have patience with him while he repays him everything. The king's response to the slave was nothing short of incredible and I believe one that the slave would not have imagined or anticipated. He released the slave and forgave him the entire debt owed!

As my pastor continued with the message, I found myself drawn to pondered this parable that the Lord had spoken to His disciples in response to a question posed by Peter. I was struck by what had happened in the account. The slave had received so much more than he had asked for! He had asked for patience but had received mercy. He had asked for the opportunity to pay his debt over time but the debt was forgiven in a moment. It seemed as if I had much in common with this slave. Many years ago the Lord had graciously spoken to my heart and had lovingly made me aware of the debt and burden of sin that was mine. And as He revealed to me that Jesus had died for my sins and that I could find forgiveness in Him, by grace and through faith I believed. A slave to sin, I had asked the King of Kings to forgive me.

As I look back I am convinced, that like that slave, I to have received much more than I had asked for. I had asked the Lord to forgive me of my sins but I received forgiveness on a grander scale than I ever could have imagined. Past, present and future; they were all forgiven. When I had asked for the forgiveness of sin I was made a new creature in Christ, receiving new life and life more abundant. When I had asked for forgiveness of sin I received victory over sin. When I had asked for forgiveness of sin I received peace, hope, joy, the Father's love and all that pertains to life and godliness. When I had asked for forgiveness of sin I received a multitude of promises, for this life and for life eternal. After almost 30 years I am still growing to understand them all. When I had asked for forgiveness I received the ability to have a wonderful relationship with my wife and the ability to experience the true joys that would follow will children and grandchildren. Yes, like the slave in Matthew 18, I received so much more than I had asked for. Praise God! May the Lord Jesus Christ be glorified as we rejoice with thankfulness in all that He provides.

No comments: