Thursday, October 22, 2009

Short Thoughts for Today

Today's passage of scripture will be Hebrews 8:7-13 which includes a lengthy recitation of old testament scripture. Here the Hebrew author wrote, "For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion sought for a second. For finding fault with them, He says, "Behold, days are coming, say the Lord, when I will effect a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah; Not like the covenant which I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; For they did not continue in My covenant, and I did not care for them, says the Lord. For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws into their minds, and I will write them upon their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be My people. And they shall not teach everyone his fellow citizen, and everyone his brother, saying, 'know the Lord,' for all shall know Me, from the least to the greatest of them. For I will be merciful to their iniquities, and I will remember their sins no more." When He said, "A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear."

The focus of my short thoughts today is not on all of the Old Testament scripture that is reference here but on a simple truth. Fault was found in the first covenant because of the faults of sinful men. And the new covenant is faultless because it is based on the One who was without sin, Jesus, the incarnate Son of God. He will never grow old, never become obsolete and He will never disappear. As the Lord allows me to continue this "blog through Hebrews", I pray that Christ remains the focus and the recipient of the glory and honor due Him.

No comments: