Monday, June 29, 2009

A Wedding

For today's short thoughts I will take a short-lived diversion from the Book of Hebrews to share on a more personal note. Yesterday I became a father in-law as my son was married to the beautiful young woman who had already become such a special part of our lives. I was so proud of my son and my daughter in-law. They are both believers in our Lord Jesus and have endeavored to maintain a right relationship before Him. While so many young people, even those professing faith in the Savior, seem willing to compromise the scriptural truths they have head knowledge of, these two young people saw His truths about relationships important.

Many different emotions were felt as I watched the two of them become one. On the one hand, there were the thoughts of how things had changed. How quickly the years had passed by and my son was now taking on the responsibility of being a husband and perhaps one day, a father himself. He would have his own family. He would have his own concerns, his own struggles, his own hopes and his own dreams. He would have his own home. He would not be home when I came home from work and he would not come home from work to find me waiting his return. His return home would now be anticipated by my daughter in-law.

But for all days he will be my son and for all days I will be his father. Time and marriage cannot change this truth. Our roles will undergo some change but our relationship as father and son will remain the same. It will not be the same as it was while he was growing up in our home. But I will continue to be a part of his life. I will pray for them and I will pray for them again. I will think of them and then I will think of them again. I will watch them grow in their relationship with the Lord and with one another. I will be available to help no matter what the circumstance. Perhaps it will be with some household chore or to help with some matter that will be new to them. I pray that I will give them wise counsel that is in accordance with God's word.

While the things that will change take their course, I will enjoy the many memories that my son has given us while he and his wife make many more for the future. I look forward to the times that await us as we each grow and mature in our new roles. My son as a husband and head of his house. And me as a father in-law and father of my son who is now a husband too. I will still enjoy the opportunities to play catch, even though he throws the baseball much harder than his dad, and I hope he forever remains my favorite fishing partner.

And the wedding, well it was remarkable. It was entirely a work of God's grace. My son and his wife looked beautiful together. The church looked lovely both inside and out. The weather was great. The guests were numerous and generous in their love and their gifts. But it was the message I was struck by. The words spoken by our pastor left my wife and I wondering if a more appropriate message could have been conceived of. It was perfect in every way. It was the perfect message for my son and his wife. It was the perfect message for their parents to hear. It was the perfect message for those who were there without Christ. It was the perfect message for those who were contemplating marriage themselves. It was the perfect message for those of the faith who were being challenged with God's truths. As our Pastor repeatedly said, there was no doubt that "God is for this marriage" and for that I am most thankful.

No comments: