Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Short Thoughts for Today

My previous "short thoughts" came from the first verse of Hebrews chapter eleven. Before looking at any of the specific persons, or acts of faith named in the chapter, today's thoughts will come from verses 2-3. As the Hebrew writer continues his introduction to this "chapter of faith", speaking of faith, he is inspired to write, "For by it the men of old gained approval. By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible."

I live at a very different time but I share something in common with these "men of old". I have also "gained approval" by faith. Through His grace, and by faith in the Lord Jesus I have been made a child of God. I have been adopted as a son through Jesus Christ. Praise the Lord for this great truth of scripture! Where would I be if it were not so? It is a dreadful thought indeed. How could I dare seek to gain approval some other way? I am so thankful that I find myself in Christ and sealed therein by the Holy Spirit of promise. I find that I am amongst a small but most privileged group of people in the world to whom God has seen fit to reveal the truth of His Son. Yes, I am amongst those who have found forgiveness of their sins in Christ.

A final thought on a truth the author speaks of in the third verse. The creation that is all around us is awe inspiring. Its vastness, majesty and intricacy is beyond our comprehension. But we must stop for a moment to consider that God created it out of nothing. Look to the highest mountain tops if you will or into the deepest of the seas. Consider man and all other created things that dwell upon the earth. Study their complexity. Gaze into the heavens with the most powerful of telescopes and consider the galaxies He allows us to see. Study the tides, gravity, weather, etc. But remember, "what is seen was not made out of things which are visible." There is no doubt in my mind that in this passage we are being challenged to consider the wonder of our Creator God, that we, along with the "men of old", may live lives of faith. Faith that is directed at Jesus, "the author and perfecter of faith".

No comments: