Friday, February 12, 2010

Short Thoughts for Today

As I continue with my hope of "blogging" through the Book of Hebrews, I find myself beginning the eleventh chapter as I share some "short thoughts" today. I will only look at the first verse today, where the Hebrew author writes "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." It is by His grace, that the Lord has given us this biblical definition of faith.

First, a thought about the "things hoped for". As believers in Christ, I suppose that each of us could make a list of these things. The list could be short or be quite long. My short list would simply be the hope of seeing Christ face to face, as this is the hope of my faith. In addition to being "present with the Lord", my long list would include the privilege to serve Him, His promised return, meeting Him in the air, obtaining a resurrected body and eternal dwelling place, and the fulfillment of all He has promised, both in this life and for
eternity.

I have assurance of these things. My assurance is based on the character and attributes of Almighty God, His infallible word, and the finished work of Christ. He is the reason for the strong conviction ofthe "things not seen". I have not yet seen Him face to face but I will do so one day. I have not yet seen what it will be like meeting Him in the clouds but I know it draws nearer each day. I have not yet seen a resurrected body, but one day I will have one and see multitudes of others. I have not yet seen this place He is preparing for me but one day I will dwell there forever. I have not yet seen death, but I know that I have already passed from death unto life and that death has no dominion over me.

As I think of the "things not seen", I must say that I'm compelled to consider the things that are seen. I have seen Him change lives, including mine. I have seen Him answer prayers, including those from my lips. I have seen His faithfulness, including His faithfulness to me. I have seen the truth of His word, both in the world and in my life. I have seen Him give peace when there was none to be had. I have seen Him give hope when there was none in sight. I believe you know what I mean.

The assurance and conviction that we read about today does not somehow spring forth from within us, absent the Spirit of God. The flesh is quick to doubt, to question, to second guess and to not believe the things of God. Our assurance and conviction can only be found in Him. This is true because of the sureness and certainty of God. He has proven Himself faithful. It is the Creator, the One and only Sovereign who is our guarantee, our confidence and our security. No, I have not seen Him with my eyes, but I believe Him!

No comments: