Monday, June 23, 2014

Today's Bible reading is the 7th chapter of the Book of Romans. You can read it here at Bible Gateway: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans+7&version=NASB

The Apostle Paul and I share a common faith in the Lord Jesus Christ that makes us each members of the body of Christ. We are brothers in Christ in God's family, the Church. But I could think of many things that I do not have in common with the Apostle Paul. He was a religious man before coming to know Christ as Savior and I was not. He was called as an apostle by the Lord Jesus Christ and I was not. He preached to the multitudes and traveled on missionary journeys covering hundreds of miles and I have not. He suffered great persecution for his faith while I have not. But today's passage of scripture reminds me that, in addition to our common faith, the apostle and I, along with all believers, share many other truths of the faith. We have each been joined "to Him who was raised from the dead in order that we might bear fruit for God". Each of us, lacking the ability in ourselves to "bear fruit for God" have been joined together with the Lord Jesus, the vine, and now as we abide in Him we can "bear fruit for God". Like the Apostle Paul, I am quite aware that sin remains dwelling within my flesh. As Paul writes of in today's text, so have I also experienced. Doing the things that I hate, the very things that I wish not to do and not practicing the things I desire to do. Finding that the willing is present but the doing is not. Yes, I share Paul's desire to one day be delivered from "the body of this death" and trust that He who has set me free from the power and penalty of sin will one day deliver me from the very presence of sin. Oh, to be unaffected by sin one day! The One who knew no sin became sin for us while those who have known sin all of their lives will one day be removed from even its presence. Praise be to God for the work of the Lord Jesus and all that He accomplished on Calvary's cross.

No comments: