Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Today's Bible reading is the 13th chapter of the Book of 1st Corinthians. You can read it here at Bible Gateway: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians%2013&version=NASB

Often referred to as "the love chapter", today's scripture tells us much regarding the significance of love. In the first three verses we read the following: "If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing." We see in each of these examples that love is the necessary "ingredient" if you will, that gives value, meaning and profitability to the particular spiritual gift the believer in Christ has been gifted with. Much time could be spent talking about the gifts that Paul speaks of in the chapter but my comment on the matter could be summed up this way. If in fact love is the key, and the text, and others, clearly says that it is, how important it is for the believer to have a right biblical understanding of love! Men, including some believers, often try to define love in a simple and/or singular manner. Scripture teaches us that love is from God, quite literally, that "God is love". Again, if God is love, and He is, we must be careful to grow in our knowledge of Him that we might know what His love looks like. If God is multifaceted, and He is, then one can rightly determine that this love is also. Love may include forgiveness but it cannot be defined by forgiveness. Love may include forbearance but it cannot be defined by it. Love may include tolerance but it cannot be defined by it. Love may include righteousness and holiness but it cannot be defined by it. By God's grace, may we know Him better that we might have a right understanding of love and allow this love be the ingredient that makes all we do in His name have meaning.

No comments: