Monday, July 7, 2014

Today's Bible reading is the 1st chapter of the Book of 1st Corinthians. You can read it here at Bible Gateway: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?version=NASB&search=1%20Corinthians%201

You can't get past the introduction of Paul's first letter to the church in Corinth without rejoicing in truths of our common faith in the Lord Jesus that are touched on there. Paul is "called as an apostle of Jesus Christ" and we are, each one, "saints by calling". Let us rejoice in the One who calls! In Paul's letter to the Romans, he said that it was "God's purpose according to His choice" that would stand and "not because of works but because of Him who calls." Paul lacked the ability to become an apostle on his own initiative and was dependent upon He who calls. I entirely lacked the ability to become a saint by my own doing but can rejoice that my sainthood is not based on my worthiness but on Him who has made me a saint by calling. In my attempt to be somewhat brief with my thoughts from each day's chapter, I will comment briefly on a couple of other passages from today's text. In verse four we are told that the grace of God is a gift that has been given to the believer in Christ Jesus. Like Paul, we should be ever thankful to God for such a gift as His grace. And it is with a loud "amen" that I respond to Paul's words in the fifth verse that remind us (if we should need such a reminder) that "in everything" we have been "enriched in Him". Abundant life in Christ is an enriched life indeed. And in verse thirty we find the truth of how we have found ourselves in this glorious position in Christ. "By His doing" Paul wrote, "you are in Christ Jesus". Oh, how we ought to glory in His calling, His doing and His Son.

No comments: