Saturday, April 26, 2014

A Sainthood from God

Much is being made of the current Pope set to have the Vatican declare two former Popes as having attained the status of being "Saints". Before going to bed tonight, the last news headline I read was titled "Countdown to canonization of John XXIII, John Paul II". I have long believed that the erroneous teachings of the Catholic church are a testimony of the grace and patience of God as He allows them to carry on their blasphemous ways. As I considered their practice of "canonization" and the declaration of "sainthood" upon one man by other men, I couldn't help but consider the contrast of Biblical truth. Long before Pope Francis had it in his mind to perform this "double ceremony", to be more precise, about 31 years ago, God Himself, not any man or institution of men, called me to be a saint in Christ Jesus. I find my sainthood in Him and not in my own good works, miracles or intercessions. I am a saint because I am in Christ. I am a saint because of the good works that He has done, because of the miracles that He has performed and because of His intercession for me. I'm not a saint because of the things I have done but a saint because of His name. Without worldly fanfare and "Papal pomp", my declaration of sainthood in Jesus was in the quietness of my heart and soul. No cameras, no "live streaming video" and no large gathering of people to celebrate me. Just angels in heaven rejoicing as this sinner became a saint because of the efficacious work of Christ on Calvary's cross. Praise God that my sainthood is not bestowed upon me by men but is a gracious gift of God that He has bestowed upon me through His Son. Amen!

No comments: