Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Today's Bible reading is the 8th chapter of the Book of John. You can read it here at Bible Gateway: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+8&version=NASB

In the well known Exodus story, when Moses asked God what he should say if he was asked the name of God, God responded by telling Moses to tell the sons of Israel, "I Am has sent me to you". In the second to the last verse in today's text we find Jesus responding to a question posed to Him regarding His statement regarding Abraham having rejoiced to see His day. John records Him as saying, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am." This is yet another statement regarding the deity of the Lord Jesus. As John's Gospel began, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." We read in today's passage of scripture that the incarnate Son of God was a man who had told the people the truth. Given that we will be celebrating His resurrection in four days, it seems appropriate to consider one of the most significant truths found in today's chapter of Scripture. In verses 21, 24 and 25 we are reminded that there are those who die in their sins. Spoken plainly by Jesus in verse 24, Jesus said, "unless you believe that I am He, you will die in your sins." I am thankful that God graciously drew me to His Son. I am thankful that He caused me to be born again. I am thankful that I will not dies in my sins because He died for my sins.

No comments: