Saturday, April 26, 2014

Today's Bible reading is the 15th chapter of the Book of John. You can read it here at Bible Gateway: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+15&version=NASB

In today's passage we read of the Vine, the Vinedresser, the branches and fruit. It is important to note that God the Son is the Vine and God the Father is the Vinedresser. We are the branches and the fruit would include the good works that "God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them" (Eph 2:10). I am a branch with the inability to produce fruit on my own. But the Vine is capable of producing fruit in and through me (a branch) as I abide in Him. Oh, the importance of abiding in the vine! Without Him we can do nothing but as we abide in Him we can bear much fruit. "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me" we read in Philippians 4:13. Fruit bearing is not for self exaltation but much appreciation is had when the Father is glorified. Although I do not have time to write on all matters related to this chapter I feel compelled to rejoice in the 13th verse where we find Jesus saying, "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." I am so thankful for knowing the One who possesses the "greater love" and for being His forever friend and brother because He laid down His live for me.

No comments: